The Concord Coach owned by the Town of Sandwich and used by the Fair Association was built by Lewis Downing & Sons in 1850. The coach was ordered by Curtis A. Coe of the Center House in Center Harbor and gave patrons of the house many pleasure trips in the mountain region. This coach is on display during the summer on the Sandwich Fair Grounds Museum.
The restoration of this coach was supervised by Edwin G. Burgum. Mr. Burgum painted the ornamentation on several coaches in the 1930's using the techniques and designs he learned from his father, John Burgum, an ornamenter for the Abbot-Downing Company.
Send comments, suggestions or inquiries: Overland Trail
[Overland Trail Home Page | Back to the Gallery |
Created and maintained by Elizabeth Larson
Copyright © 1998, 1999, 2000